The aim of the Society is to stage concerts to a high standard and to perform a wide variety of classical sacred and secular choral music. We should like to introduce you to how we do things and these notes should tell you all you need to know about the choir. We were founded in September 1960 and we currently have a membership of more than 130.
are held on Wednesday evenings from September to June/July during school term time in Newbold College Church, St Marks Road, Binfield, RG42 4AN. They are led by our Musical Director, Greg Hallam, with piano accompaniment provided by Nick Austin, our expert pianist. Both are professional musicians. Singing starts promptly at 7:30 p.m., with a short break for refreshments at 8:30 p.m. Our busy, enjoyable and stretching rehearsals finish at 9:30 p.m.
For the first rehearsal of each term, members need to arrive at 7:15 p.m. to allow for the issue of new music, in time for the rehearsal to begin at 7.30 p.m. Music can be purchased, or hired for a small charge, from our Librarian, Penny Hopkins.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE FOR YOUR FIRST REHEARSAL, as a potential new member with Bracknell Choral Society, you will be:-
1. Introduced to your Part Steward and asked for your name, address, e-mail and telephone number, for future contact.
2. Loaned the music for the work we are rehearsing, by our Librarian – assuming spare copies are available.
3. Offered two consecutive rehearsals without commitment, so that you can get to know how the choir is run, meet other member and generally decide if you would like to join the choir.
record attendance for each section of the choir,
i.e. Soprano 1, Soprano 2, Alto 1, Alto 2, Tenor, and Bass. All members are strongly encouraged to attend the maximum number of rehearsals possible. Our Musical Director liaises with Part Stewards before every concert to ensure that all those members planning to take part in the concert are familiar with the work and are able to make a positive contribution to the performance.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE FOR YOUR THIRD REHEARSAL
it will be assumed that you have now decided to join the choir. Therefore will you please:-
1. Hand your subscription to our Treasurer or Secretary. If you have completed a Gift Aid Declaration form, this can also be handed to the Treasurer or Secretary. We shall then add all your details to our Members’ Register. Current rates of subscription are shown below.
2. There is no formal audition but you may like to have a short chat with Greg Hallam, our Musical Director to ensure that you are singing in the correct section.
CONCERTS this season are: -
Saturday 25th November 2017 at St Joseph’s Church, Bracknell
Wednesday 20th December 2017 at Newbold College Church
Saturday 24th March 2018 at Marlborough College
Summer Concert - details to be announced
The final rehearsal for each concert is held with the soloists and orchestra and generally takes place during the afternoon of concert day. Concerts usually start at 7:30 pm and choir members must be at the venue by 7:10 pm or as instructed by the Musical Director or the Stage Manager.
SELLING CONCERT TICKETS: You are asked to sell concert tickets for all performances. We need an audience to sing to and your support in bringing friends, family, colleagues and neighbours is a major contributor to our success.
The current annual subscription rates for 2017-2018 are:
Full members - £150; Students - £35
New members joining after the commencement of the new season in September pay £100 if they join in January, and £50 from April.
For further enquiries please contact our Secretary Maria Martin.
On the map above, if you are coming from the roundabout at the junction of Temple Way and London Road, Newbold College Church is the last entrance on the right before the junction with St Mark's Road.